Who Cares About Membership?
This year at Hope Lutheran Church, we're doing a study of the book "Connected to Christ: Why Membership Matters."
The question might be asked, "Why are we bothering with this study?" It's a valid question, so here are some answers.
- Very few people have any idea what it means to be a member of a church. In my years as a pastor I have observed that some elderly members have a good concept of membership, a few middle aged and younger members understand it, but the vast majority of Christians have no concept of what it means to be a member at all.
- There's a myth that "membership" isn't biblical. It is biblical, but the word "member" does have a very different meaning than how the word is often used these days.
- When we understand what it is to be a member of a congregation, then we are better equipped to faithfully live out that calling from the Lord.
- If we're going to be doing outreach, we'd better understand what it means for us to be a member of Christ's church before we try to talk to someone else about being a member.
- By doing this study as a whole congregation, we get to better know one another and are better prepared to take care of one another as we have been instructed to do by Christ.
I could add to the list, but this is at least a start.
Church membership is valuable and important and I'm thankful for this new resource that will help us to better understand what it means to be a member of a congregation.