What's wrong with those people in the Bible?

What is wrong with those people in the Bible?

The Israelites despair, fearing that they will starve to death in the wilderness after God has just brought them out of slavery to the most powerful nation on earth; after God used a series of 10 plagues and then brought them safely through the water of the Red Sea, but drowned Pharaoh and his army. 

Then, after God provides food for the Israelites (and water), they despair that there's no way they'll be able to conquer the people of Canaan.  They thing, "the Canaanites are just to big and strong and numerous for us to have a chance!"  

What is wrong with those people? 
Don't they remember what God has already done for them?  Why are they so quick to believe that the God who has provided for them again and again, in mighty and miraculous ways, would abandon them now?  

"Where are we to get enough bread in such a desolate place to feed so great a crowd?" the disciples wondered out loud.  There was a huge crowd of people, they weren't near a source of food, and they certainly didn't have the supplies in hand to feed the crowd. 

But come on guys!  You just witnessed Jesus feed a crowd of 5000 men, plus women and children, and now you're freaking out about this situation?  Don't you remember what Jesus did?  Have your forgotten that Jesus is with you? 

What's wrong with those people in the Bible?  Why do they doubt, when they've seen such amazing things? 

I ask these questions as I read the Bible.  Then I have to admit that I'm just as bad. I'm just as prone to doubt and despair and forget as they were.

When troubles come, I try to fix them first, instead of my first instinct being to turn them over to the Lord.  When resources are scarce, I too often wonder how we'll make it instead of confidently trusting that God has it under control.  When the future looks gloomy, I'm tempted to despair instead of allowing the light of Christ to bring light into the darkness. 

Lord, remind me that You are with me. 
Lord, remind me of the miracles you did in Egypt.
Lord, remind me of how You provided for Your people in the wilderness. 
Lord Jesus, remind me of how You fed 5000 men, plus women and children, with 5 loaves and 2 fish.
Lord Jesus, remind me that you then fed 4000 men, plus women and children, with 7 loaves and a few small fish. 
Lord, remind me that nothing can separate me from the love that you have for me in Christ Jesus. 
Lord, remind me that the God who created me, sustains my life, redeemed my life, and sanctifies my  life is with me always. 

Lord, cast out my doubts and purge from my mind the idea...the lie...that everything depends upon me. Help me instead to pray and to say with the Psalmist, But I trust in you, O LORD; I say, "You are my God." 


Help me to see what You've done in the past and to trust that you will provide in the future. 
Help me to remember what it means that You are with me and You are for me. 

Lord, open my lips to glorify you in saying,
Now to him who is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or think, according to the power at work within us, to him be glory in the church and in Christ Jesus throughout all generations, forever and ever. Amen. (Ephesians 3:20-21)
When supplies are lacking and I'm not up to the task, there's no reason to despair.

God's got this...just like He always has. 

Psalm 136
 1Give thanks to the Lord, for he is good,
for his steadfast love endures forever.
2Give thanks to the God of gods,
for his steadfast love endures forever.
3Give thanks to the Lord of lords,
for his steadfast love endures forever;

4to him who alone does great wonders,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
5to him who by understanding made the heavens,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
6to him who spread out the earth above the waters,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
7to him who made the great lights,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
8the sun to rule over the day,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
9the moon and stars to rule over the night,
for his steadfast love endures forever;

10to him who struck down the firstborn of Egypt,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
11and brought Israel out from among them,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
12with a strong hand and an outstretched arm,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
13to him who divided the Red Sea in two,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
14and made Israel pass through the midst of it,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
15but overthrew Pharaoh and his host in the Red Sea,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
16to him who led his people through the wilderness,
for his steadfast love endures forever;

17to him who struck down great kings,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
18and killed mighty kings,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
19Sihon, king of the Amorites,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
20and Og, king of Bashan,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
21and gave their land as a heritage,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
22a heritage to Israel his servant,
for his steadfast love endures forever.

23It is he who remembered us in our low estate,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
24and rescued us from our foes,
for his steadfast love endures forever;
25he who gives food to all flesh,
for his steadfast love endures forever.

26Give thanks to the God of heaven,

for his steadfast love endures forever.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus's Whip

20 Ideas for Holy Week

What are the Benefits of Receiving the Lord's Supper?