Top of the World

"Top of the world!"

Such was the response given by one of the saints I had the privilege to pastor whenever he was asked, "How are you?"

Each time I came to visit him I'd ask, "How are you doing?" and each time he'd respond, "Top of the world!"

But one day, as I sat in his room with him, this pillar of the church made a confession.  "You know, I'm not really feeling on top of the world.  There are a lot of times when I don't feel that way, but I say it because it's what people expect.  It makes them smile."  He was honest with me and he was honest with others too in letting them know that, in truth, he wasn't really feeling on top of the world.

So...how are you today?  How are you doing?  How are you really doing?

The instant response most of us have is to say, "I'm doing okay," in some way, shape, or form.  But what if we were to answer such questions honestly? What would we say?

"I'm struggling."
"I'm really having a tough day."
"Things aren't bad."
"Things are great! I'm really having a good day."
"It's complicated, but I really appreciate you asking.  Could we talk for a few minutes?"

All of the above could be honest answers, depending on the person, depending on the day. Yet, most of the time we still respond by saying, "I'm doing okay," regardless of the situation.

There are many reasons we tend not to open up to others when they ask, but I fear that one reason is that Christians think that they should be fine. Somehow the idea that Christians shouldn't struggle or have bad days has crept into our thinking.  But this idea couldn't be further from the truth.

Moses most certainly had bad days in dealing with the stiff necked Israelites,
The Psalmists cry out to God in desperation.
Jesus Himself speaks of being "troubled."

The truth is, Christians will experience a range of emotions.  And that's okay.
It's also okay to admit when you're down in the dumps or struggling.
It's okay that admit that to other Christians.
It's okay to confess that to the Lord.

In fact, it's more than okay.  That's precisely what we should do. When things are good, go the Lord with praise.  When things are tough, go to the Lord for help and hope.

And we don't have to do this alone.  One of the very reasons Christ created and brought us into His Church is so that we can bear one another's burdens and encourage one another.

But that can only happen if we're brave enough to take off the masks we hide behind in pretending that everything is always going just fine so that our brothers and sisters in Christ can know of our struggles and help us through them.

So now, let me ask you, "How are you doing?"


*Note that the man who always responded was named Edwin Schleef.  Edwin passed away several years ago, but recently his son Robert passed away unexpectedly.  His passing made me think about his dad's typical response.  I pray that those who are hurting and mourning during this time would find peace in Christ and love and support in Christ's Church. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus's Whip

20 Ideas for Holy Week

What are the Benefits of Receiving the Lord's Supper?