Christ's Castle: A Story About Christ, His Church, and His Invitation

A weary wanderer slowly walked towards the entrance of a castle.  The wanderer knows the dangers of being out there…outside of the walls of protection offered by a castle.  The wanderer approaches the doors of the castle, hoping to be allowed inside, but doubting that he’ll be allowed since those inside might very well think him a threat to their own safety.

The drawbridge is down, so the wanderer approaches the gate and as he approaches, he eyes the gatekeeper, hoping to be able to discern what kind of a man the gatekeeper is and what kind of reception he can expect from him.

The gatekeeper looks at the wanderer kindly and says, “Why do you wish to enter?”

“I wish only to find safety,” the wanderer replies.  “And I won’t stay long.  I won’t be an inconvenience.”

The gatekeeper smiles gently and asks, “Why do you with to only stay a short time?  Why not find your home here?”

This caught the wanderer off guard.  In every town and castle he had stayed in previously, if they allowed him to enter, they wouldn’t tolerate hi
m staying for long.  He hadn’t actually considered settling down somewhere and making a home.

The wanderer responded, “Kind gatekeeper, I couldn’t stay long because I don’t have the funds to pay for food and lodging.”

“But food and lodging are free here.  You couldn’t pay for them even if you wanted to.  They are provided for entirely by the King.”

The wanderer could hardly believe it!  Free food?  Free lodging?  This couldn’t be real, could it? The wanderer began to feel excitement springing up inside.  A home…with a loving king…with kind and caring neighbors…this was more than he had dared to dream of!

But suddenly the smile left his face.  The wanderer began to think back on his time…out there.  He remembered terribly things that he had gone through because of the evils of others, but even more so he remembered the wicked things that he had done.  He thought to himself, “If they ever found out about what kind of a person I have been, they’d kick me out.”

After a long silence, the wanderer blurted out…“I can’t stay long...because you wouldn’t want me to stay long.” 

“But I do want you to stay.  I want this to be your home.”

“You don’t know what you’re saying gatekeeper!  I’ve done terrible things…wicked things.  Your king would be outraged if you let me into your castle.  You’ve shown me great kindness gatekeeper and I can’t have the king angry with you because of me.”

The gatekeeper looked at the wanderer.  He didn’t look past him, as most people did, or through him as if he didn’t exist, as many others did.  He didn’t see the wanderer and then divert his eyes.  He looked right at him and saw him.  He saw the man.  He saw his tattered clothing, dirty face, and matted hair.  He saw everything about the man and it unnerved the wanderer because he was accustomed to people looking away in disgust or averting their eyes to avoid having to interact with him.

But the gatekeeper looked right at him.

And the gatekeeper said, “But I am the King. I am the King and I invite you to enter.  I want you to find your home here.  I want you to receive daily bread from me.  I want you to love and be loved by your neighbors.  I know what kind of man you are and I know what you have done.  But there’s something you don’t yet understand about my castle.  When you come in, when you receive your daily bread from me, when you begin to love and be loved by your neighbors, you will also be changed.  Inside of the walls of this castle, all of the wickedness you’ve ever done will be erased.  
You’ll be washed in beautiful, cleansing water.  You’ll drink the best of wine, which will not only give you joy, but it will actually change your heart. Inside of the walls of this castle your heart will be cleansed and purified.  Inside of the walls of this castle, you will be safe from the attacks of your enemies, but you will also begin to learn to love your enemies.  And after a time, during the day, you will leave this castle.”

“But why would anyone leave such a wonderful place?” the wanderer wondered aloud.

“Oh, you won’t leave for long.  You’ll leave so that you can find others who are wandering, others like yourself.  You’ll tell them of this place and what is offered here.  You’ll love them as I love you.  Some of them will come with you.  Others will not believe you.  Still others will hate you and do evil to you.  But you’ll go anyway.”

“But what if something should happen while I’m out there?  What if someone attacks and kills me?”


The King answered softly, but firmly and confidently.  “Then I shall come and take you back into my castle and you will live again.  So, dear wanderer, wander no more.  Enter my castle and here find your home.”


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus's Whip

20 Ideas for Holy Week

What are the Benefits of Receiving the Lord's Supper?