You're Not Special

A few years ago a commencement speaker made waves when he told graduates that they are not special.  It was a dose of honesty that many of us need to hear.

As Christians, we need to hear "you're not special" because when Christians begin to believe that they are special, bad things happen.  When a Christian believes that he or she is special, things begin to be looked at in a skewed way.  God has established ways that He wants us to act and things He want us to do and it's really important to walk in those ways...for everyone except me of course, because I'm special.

  • David thought that He was special and so instead of being on the front lines, leading his army, as he should have been, he was instead at home and got himself into trouble with Bathsheba.  And it all started with David thinking, "I'm special." 
  • The son's of Eli thought that they were "special."  Therefore they exploited their positions and abused God's people for personal gain.  Things did not end well for the son's of Eli. 
  • Miriam was angry with Moses because she thought that she too was "special."  She sinned against God by seeking to undermine Moses and was punished by God for her rebellion.  Moses, on the other hand, didn't consider himself to be "special." 
  • Peter got himself into trouble, in part, because he considered himself to be "special."  He made a vow which he failed to keep in a prodigious way.  

There are more biblical examples that I could add to this list.

But it isn't just people in the Bible who have had this problem.


  • Mark Driscoll was an energetic, engaging, and powerful preacher who was doing big things in Seattle.  But bad thins happened when he started to believe the hype and think that the rules don't apply to him.  He thought that he was special. 
  • Every year, more pastors have to resign from ministry or are removed from the pastoral office because they thought that they could handle being in a compromising situation.  The "I'm special" belief opened them up to doing stupid and immoral things. 
Yet, it isn't just leaders in the church who fall into this trap..
  • When Bible Study is important...for everyone else...but you don't really think it's a big deal if you miss, you've fallen into the "I'm special" trap.
  • When you rationalize skipping church because, "I can handle it" or "I'll feed myself by reading the Bible," you've fallen into the trap of believing "I'm special." 
I could go on, but I think the point has been made. 
Unless you mean special like Ralph Wiggum is special, you're not special.  Neither am I.
We're wretched, weak, pitiful sinners who desperately need Jesus.  We're not able to "handle things" without catastrophic fallout.

Peter learned this lesson, which is why he wrote...

Humble yourselves, therefore, under the mighty hand of God so that at the proper time he may exalt you, casting all your anxieties on him, because he cares for you. Be sober-minded; be watchful. Your adversary the devil prowls around like a roaring lion, seeking someone to devour. Resist him, firm in your faith, knowing that the same kinds of suffering are being experienced by your brotherhood throughout the world. And after you have suffered a little while, the God of all grace, who has called you to his eternal glory in Christ, will himself restore, confirm, strengthen, and establish you. To him be the dominion forever and ever. Amen. (1 Peter 5:6-11)

Peter learned his lesson and stopped believing that he was special.  He knew that it was a lie of Satan and that humbling oneself before God, confessing a dependence upon God, and recognizing our weaknesses was what was needful.

"Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 5:3)

Have you learned that lesson?

I have...yet I still have to relearn the lesson daily because I still fall into the trap on occasion...the trap set for me by Satan who wants me to believe that in some way I'm "special" and the rules aren't for me.

The truth is...
I'm not special, but in Christ I am redeemed.  
I'm not special, but through Christ I am a child of God.  
I'm not special, but because of Christ I don't have to pretend that I am, rather I have the freedom to confess that I am a poor miserable sinner who is daily in need of Jesus. 

Comments

  1. Great stuff Ben!

    A few more for your list:
    I am not special but I am chosen.
    I am not special, but I am holy.
    I am not special, but am his possession.

    I find it fascinating that the words "special" or "exceptional" ever enter into the Biblical conversation as identifiers for believers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. I'm an ordinary sinner with an extraordinary God.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus's Whip

20 Ideas for Holy Week

Are Lutherans Cannibals?