No Shoes Necessary

Victor Hugo's masterpiece,  "Les Misérables" contains many insights on the human condition.  In these two paragraphs, a daughter in an impoverished household complains about having to wear shoes when she enters the church (and in this case she had entered the church with the sole purpose of seeking to exploit a wealthy man who was regularly there to worship).
"A clever girl, possibly; but I tell you I won't put these shoes on again, and that I won't, for the sake of my health, in the first place, and for the sake of cleanliness, in the next. I don't know anything more irritating than shoes that squelch, and go ghi, ghi, ghi, the whole time. I prefer to go barefoot."

"You are right," said her father, in a sweet tone which contrasted with the young girl's rudeness, "but then, you will not be allowed to enter churches, for poor people must have shoes to do that. One cannot go barefoot to the good God," he added bitterly.

"One cannot go barefoot to the good God."  Those words stuck out to me because so many people seem to believe the thought process behind those words.  The idea that someone is too poor to receive God's gifts has no basis in Scripture, in fact Jesus more often helped the poor than the rick.

But the words reflect a larger misconception; that we must somehow be worthy before God will receive us.

"I'll go to church after I get my act together"
"The roof of the church would fall in if I entered."
"I have to do something to show God that I'm deserving before I can come to God in prayer."

All of the above statements reflect the idea that we must move first, then maybe God will receive us.

But the truth is, Jesus acted first.   
For while we were still weak, at the right time Christ died for the ungodly. For one will scarcely die for a righteous person—though perhaps for a good person one would dare even to die—but God shows his love for us in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. (Romans 5:6-8)
This truth is wonderfully captured in the first two verses of the hymn, "Jesus Sinners Doth Receive."

 1 Jesus sinners doth receive;
    Oh, may all this saying ponder
Who in sin’s delusions live
    And from God and heaven wander!
Here is hope for all who grieve:
Jesus sinners doth receive.

2 We deserve but grief and shame,
    Yet His words, rich grace revealing,
Pardon, peace, and life proclaim;
    Here our ills have perfect healing.
Firmly in these words believe:
Jesus sinners doth receive.

Jesus sinners doth receive.
You can go barefoot to the good God.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jesus's Whip

20 Ideas for Holy Week

What are the Benefits of Receiving the Lord's Supper?